How do I Join ?
1. First you must be a FCC licensed Amateur Radio Operator of a Technician class or higher who lives and/or works in Tarrant County, Texas. We are looking for dedicated people who spend a substantial amount of their time here in the county and wish to volunteer their time to make this a better place to live and work.
2. Attend the annual SKYWARN training held each spring and periodically through the year by the National Weather Service. Check the RACES Calendar link on the left for dates of scheduled classes.
3. Complete the FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) self study courses on the Incident Command System (IS-100), IS-200 and the National Incident Management System (NIMS IS-700 * IS-800.c). FEMA changes the letter designations of these each time they are updated. Follow the course links below:
Introduction to the Incident Command System IS-100.c
Incident Command System for the Single Resouce and Initial Incident IS-200.c
For the National Incident Management System IS-700.b
For an Introduction to the National Response Framework IS-800.c
4. Fill out the on-line new member application and upload here: OnLineApplication. Your membership will be evaluated and you will be notified by email when you are approved.
5. Listen and observe how the nets are run to learn the procedures used. Read the training materials found elsewhere on this site.
6. Once your application is approved the final step is to take our new member/renewal orientation class where you will have your photograph taken, and sign some additional paperwork. You will also take part in training on the RACES Mission, Goals, Policies and Procedures.